I’ve had numerous versions of this chickpea salad and decided it was time to make my own!
Fresh Chickpea Salad
A healthy, tasty and fresh salad. Perfect as a side dish or on its own.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 plum/roma tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 1/2 tub feta cheese crumbled
- 6 cups dry chickpeas
- Soak the chickpeas overnight (minimum 12 hours)
- Boil the chickpeas until tender (approximately 45 minutes)
- Chop the onion, tomato, avocado and cucumber into small pieces. Place in separate bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the olive oil and lemon juice together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once chickpeas are cooked, set aside to cool then rinse with cold water. Place in a large bowl.
- Add onion, tomato, avocado and cucumber mixture to the chickpeas. Toss together.
- Pour the olive oil - lemon juice dressing to the salad mixture. Toss well.
- Crumble feta on top of the salad, toss gently, top with more feta cheese.
I will definitely try using canned chickpeas for this recipe next time and see if there is a difference in taste/quality. Soaking and cooking chickpeas really adds a lot of time to the process!