Pasta with Pancetta and Cherry Peppers
Yummy authentic Italian dish!
- 12 oz penne pasta (or any pasta shape of your choice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz pancetta (diced into 1/4″ pieces)
- 4 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 2 14.5 oz cans Hunt’s tomato sauce
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup pickled cherry peppers ((approx 3) seeds removed and peppers torn or chopped into bite size pieces)
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup freshy grated parmigiano (to taste)
- Fill a large pot with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- In a large skillet with high sides, add the olive oil and preheat it over medium heat, add the pancetta and cook until the pancetta renderers it’s fat and crisps up a bit, this will take around 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, saute for an additional 2 minutes or until the garlic lightly browns.
- Add the tomato sauce, the Italian seasoning and sugar, give everything a nice stir bring the mixture up to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low. Partially cover the skillet with a lid and simmer for 25 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before the sauce is done cooking, the pasta water should be boiling, add the pasta, cook according to package instructions and drain well.
- Add the cherry peppers to the sauce along with a good pinch of salt and pepper, stir in the pasta, parsley and parmigiano.