Whether you create a New Years resolution list or just choose a word for the year as I did, it can be very hard to maintain those goals after the first couple months of the year pass. I’m here to wish you a #HappyRenewYear and motivate you to continue to strive to achieve your goals!
DID YOU KNOW?
64 per cent of Canadian women give up their resolutions with the first 3 months of the year due to hectic schedules. #WorkLifeBalance
As a mom of 3 who works full time outside of the home, I can speak to this as it is my everyday reality. Finding a great work-life balance can be tricky, never mind trying to eat properly, nurture relationships, stay physically fit, and have some “me” time.
It’s tough. There are many weeks where my total hours of sleep can be summed up with a one digit number. There are times when I just want to eat a really big greasy hamburger with extra large fries. There are times that I don’t feel like exercising. There are times when I hit a wall, and I’m just done.
DID YOU KNOW?
More than 60% of resolutions are made focus on getting in shape, losing weight and eating healthier.
At the end of the day, if I don’t take care of me, I won’t be able to take care of those around me. I’m 40 years old and I still have to tell myself this every minute of the day.
3 TIPS FROM PEGCITYLOVELY ON HOW TO STAY ON TRACK
- SUPPORT, SUPPORT, SUPPORT! And I’m not just talking about a great sports bra (right Kyla?). I constantly state the importance of surrounding yourself with cheerleaders, people who can give you positive reinforcement and constructive feedback when it’s needed. People who will keep you accountable, sometimes you just can’t do it alone. I even have my kids reminding me to get downstairs and workout. My teen enjoys yoga and often asks me to do it with her.
- BE SELFISH! Well, not too selfish, don’t overdo it. If you need an hour in the evening to yourself, plan it out and tell your significant other or a sibling, friend, trusted neighbour that you need help!
- DON’T GIVE UP! Breathe, it’s ok, nothing is perfect, keep trying and soon enough your routine will change. Your lifestyle habits will change with you! Some weeks you’ll follow your plan to the letter and other weeks you won’t – we are human beings!!! (I state this on a daily basis)
With these tips in your back pocket, I just know you will be on your way to integrating health and wellness into your life regardless of your career and/or extracurricular parent duties etc. Big shout out to the men in the same boat (single dads etc), these tips apply to you too!
Sears Canada understands the need to help women manage a healthy work-life balance and they have a few tips of their own to share with you:
- Ditch the snooze button. Wake up 30 minutes early for a quick workout and healthy breakfast at home before starting your work day. This will help you feel accomplished, energized and excited all before 7am! Tip: Walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes every day, burns an extra 1,000 to 1,500 calories a week!
- Make meal planning and prep a part of your weekend To Do list to save time during the workweek!
- Make staying on track with your goals easy! Celebrate mini-milestones and achievements with a fun, well-deserved treat.
I’ve been eyeing up a few treats myself, including workout gear and equipment, which are part of the fitness collection at Sears Canada. Here are some of my wants, I mean suggestions, for future gift ideas…for me (you know, in case my family is reading this)!
I’d love to hear your feedback and I’m sure Sears Canada would too!